Each classification has been arbitrarily described and over-simplified, use the level indication just as a guideline and read carefully the extended trip information:
- Level 1: Trips with short walks of generally 2-4 hours (excluding breaks) and/or optional day excursions; flat or slightly hilly terrain using well kept paths.
- Level 2: Moderate day walks, 4-5 hours per day (excluding breaks) on hilly to mountainous areas using well kept, sometimes stony paths.
- Level 2-3: Moderate day walks are interspersed with more strenuous excursions, 4-5 hours per day (excluding breaks) on hilly to mountainous areas using well kept, sometimes stony paths.
- Level 3: Trips with strenuous day walks or trekking in mountainous areas. 5-7 hours walking per day, sometimes carrying backpacks with stuff for one night; height differences between 500 & 1000 m. per day
- Level 4: Trips with heavy excursions in high mountains, sometimes carrying backpacks with stuff for several nights. 6 to 8 hours maximum per day; height differences up to 1200 meters per day; only for participants with an excellent condition and without fear of heights.
The bicycle trips in this program have different levels. It is not easy to give a correct estimation of the trip level. It is important to consider a number of factors: the daily distances, the wind direction, the weather, the number of gears on your bike and your own physical condition. If you have any doubts, don’t hesitate to contact our travel consultants.
- Level 1: Easy biking in nearly flat landscape; also possible for people with little or no bicycle experience. The daily distances are approximately 30-50 km in general. Bicycles with up to 3 gears can do the job. All our adult rental bikes have at least 21 gears.
- Level 2: Biking in nearly flat to hilly areas, you may encounter a short climb from time to time. The daily distances vary between 30 and 65 km. A bicycle with minimum 7 gears will do. All our rental bikes have at least 21 gears
- Level 3: Strenuous biking trips in areas where you cannot avoid steep slopes. Some bicycle experience is needed and the bicycle has up to 21 gears. The daily distances range from 30 up to 75 km.
- Level 4: Serious and strenuous biking trips in mountainous area, the slopes are longer and/or steeper than at the previous category. Requires a good physical condition, a broad cycling experience and adequate mountain climbing bicycle. The daily distances range between 30 and 80 km.